Local taxicabs at the tap of a button
Uber offers fast, affordable, and convenient rides at the tap of a button. Download the Uber app to start riding.
OPEN IN THE UBER APPDOWNLOAD UBER
No need to try to hail a cab from the curb. Request a local cab from your phone with uberTAXI.
No cash necessary
Track your ride
How UberTaxi works: Request a taxicab with the Uber app
According to the Uber website, UberTaxi allows you to “use Uber to request and pay for a taxi, at standard taxi meter rates plus a $2 booking fee. A 20% gratuity is automatically added for the driver by default.” UberTaxis are licensed cabs.
Here’s how UberTaxi works:
- You can hail a licensed taxicab in the same way that you would request an Uber
- You pay a $1–$2 booking fee
- You pay the normal metered taxicab rate
- You pay a 20% gratuity
- All payments are handled by the Uber app
When it’s smart to use UberTaxi instead of another Uber service
In most cities, an UberX, XL, or Black car is cheaper, more convenient, and an overall better experience than any city cab. But there are a few situations when UberTaxi is the smarter choice, or the only other choice if you want to use Uber.
- Rides to and from the airport.Most airports heavily restrict the UberX service, so with UberTaxi you’ll know you can request a taxi from your phone and get picked up at the curb.
- Rides in a city that limits or prohibits UberX. Some cities limit the number of UberX cars on the road or outright ban the service, while still allowing UberTaxi.
UberTaxi is currently available in these US cities
- New York City
- San Francisco
- Washington, D.C.
SIGN UP TO DRIVE UBER